St. John Paul II Catholic High School's Arts program has proven to be highly successful, with students receiving numerous national awards in art, music and literature, as well as scholarships to major art institutions. Students benefit from the discipline of artistic creation while developing their gifts of aesthetic expression.
A range of opportunities for student participation includes various vocal and instrumental groups; theater arts performances; and a nationally recognized student literary magazine, Epiphany. Art students also enjoy participating in the UAHuntsville Liberal Arts Tournament, having taken home first, second and third place awards in recent competitions.
Band and choir students enjoy performance venues throughout the year, including a Sacred Arts Concert, Christmas Concert and Spring Concert. The band also travels bi-annually to out-of-state competitions and participates in the annual school musical. The choir students compete yearly in the Alabama All-State Festival Choirs.
In addition to school productions, drama students participate in the Alabama Thespian Festival, Walter Trumbauer Theatre Festival and Alabama Conference on Theater.
The school curriculum provides for 100 percent student participation in the Arts programs, from beginning to advanced level classes.
ARTS HIGHLIGHTS ...
- Yearly Blue Ribbon Awards in Alabama State Council on the Arts Visual Achievement Program
- Scholarship Awards for Art, including Savannah College of Art and Design and Memphis College of Art
- Superior and Gold Medal Band Awards in Festival of Champions and other music festivals
- Superior in Music Performance Assessments, including District and State levels
- Superior awards in District V Solo and Ensemble Vocal Competitions
- Placed 1st in 2013 High School Mixed Choir at Regional Music Festival
- Participation in Alabama All-State Festival Choir and AVA Honor Choir
- Annual productions, fully staged, including Broadway Revue dinner theater, play and musical
- Awarded Select 1 ACT at Alabama Thespian Festival
- Superior and first place awards at Alabama Thespian Festival