St. John Paul II Catholic High School's Arts program has proven to be highly successful, with students receiving numerous national awards in art, music and literature, as well as scholarships to major art institutions. Students benefit from the discipline of artistic creation while developing their gifts of aesthetic expression.
A range of opportunities for student participation includes various vocal and instrumental groups; theater arts performances; and a nationally recognized student literary magazine, Epiphany. Art students also enjoy participating in the UAH Liberal Arts Tournament, having taken home first, second and third place awards in recent competitions.
Band and choir students enjoy performance venues throughout the year, including a Sacred Arts Concert, Christmas Concert and Spring Concert. The band also travels bi-annually to out-of-state competitions and participates in the annual school musical.
In addition to school productions, drama students participate in the Alabama Thespian Festival, Walter Trumbauer Theatre Festival and Alabama Conference on Theater.
The school curriculum provides for 100 percent student participation in the Arts programs, from beginning to advanced level classes.
- Superior and Gold Medal Band Awards in Festival of Champions and other music festivals
- Superior in Music Performance Assessments, including District and State levels
- Super awards in District V Solo and Ensemble vocal competitions
- Participation in Alabama All-State Festival Choirs
- Annual productions, fully staged, including Broadway Revue dinner theater, play and musical
- Superior and first place awards at Alabama Thespian Festival
- Blue Ribbon Awards in Alabama State Council on the Arts Visual Achievement Program
- Scholarship awards for art, including Savannah College of Art and Design and Memphis College of Art